3Shape Compatibility With Planmill 40

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Shea Tolbert Shea Tolbert January 19, 2017.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

I know getting eMax abutments in the system is a big priority for many. What I can tell you is in October Ivoclar told us the e4d version of the abutment/blocks were awaiting FDA clearance. I’ve heard nothing official beyond that. It will be a nice addition once we get them, but I’m still not sold on Ti based eMax for molars, if we had it now I wouldn’t use it there. Solid Ti is a better fix imho.

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

One thing too to keep in mind, the emax abutments are really Ti bases with emax on top.  I’ve seen a fair number of anecdotal reports of Ti base fractures (another one on DT today).  Personally even if we had emax abutments on our system I’d be using them very carefully, limited situations, probably 1st bi and forward on pt’s with intact dentition.  I think this is one of those areas we need to be careful not to fall into that we have a hammer so everything looks like a nail mindset.  Think of it this way, if you sent a molar implant case to the lab for an implant restoration how many would opt for a Ti base abutment over a milled Ti or manufacturers stock abutment?  I’m going to guess very few.  So just be careful, tempting to jump to something new but gotta be sure it doesn’t bite you later down the line.

Cliff Leachman

eMax abutments seem like a disaster in the making, considering that zirconia is functioning with success?

Cliff Leachman

Also, was last week I was really looking HARD at upgrading to Trios, but the $$, lack of support and complexity of the work around killed the plan! One day this will be an EXCELLENT option, especially tissue and implant imaging, not so much as I write? Bit the bullet and went from D4D HD to Planscan with the Alienware laptop. I skipped NEVO altogether, waiting this time for the bugs to get ironed out. especially after reading the ADA paper:

http://protecdental.com/files/evaluation-accuracy-six-intraoral-scanning-devices-vitro-investigation

Moderndentalsmiles
    Moderndentalsmiles
    Participant

Let the consumer decide on the emax abutments! As clinicians we know that there is no one size fits all for the treatment we provide our patients. There are many occasions where a ti-base emax crown will be a great option and there are many occasions where it may be a disaster. Material selection is an integral part of providing high quality treatment. Just as there are times where an emax crown may not be the best and zirconia, gold or pfm may be a better alternative. But as a company, provide the options for the consumer and let them decide. I’m very sure that if the option was there, many would use it. Maybe not everyone but many, and many not in all circumstances but it will definitely be more than what is currently being offered which is .. nothing at all. Also seems like good business for the company as well. I don’t see it as a negative thing to have it as on option. More consumers would take a closer look at the system because of it.

Alex Touchstone
    Alex Touchstone
    Keymaster

Also, was last week I was really looking HARD at upgrading to Trios, but the $$, lack of support and complexity of the work around killed the plan! One day this will be an EXCELLENT option, especially tissue and implant imaging, not so much as I write? Bit the bullet and went from D4D HD to Planscan with the Alienware laptop. I skipped NEVO altogether, waiting this time for the bugs to get ironed out. especially after reading the ADA paper:

http://protecdental.com/files/evaluation-accuracy-six-intraoral-scanning-devices-vitro-investigation

Great to see you back, Cliff!!!

Founder and Mentor
    LearnDigitalDentistry.com
    alex@learndigitaldentistry.com

Wally Renne
    Wally Renne
    Keymaster

I have been using the 3shape software and the e4d Planmill 40 somewhat successfully. yea it is a little annoying but for the few  larger Implant  cases that the planscan software can’t handle yet it comes in handy  (soon Planscan will be able to do much more, they are 100% working on it, the pieces I have seen are impressive) Anyway  here is a case I did last week: 

Amuri
    Amuri
    Participant

So much luck involved though getting that sprue right in Job Supplier, especially also when not all 3 implants are parallel enough haha Wally 😀 either way, good job!

Moderndentalsmiles
    Moderndentalsmiles
    Participant

That is Absolutely amazing what you did with the 3shape and the Planmill.  

Could really use those capabilities in my practice.

thank you so much for sharing this and showing what is possible.

MDS

Cliff Leachman

Change of plans, tried the Planscan but returned it for the Trios 3 , super cool imaging and insane speed, never miind the bite program is phenomenal!

Outrageously expensive but the color and 3-D rendering make it a great treatment planning and demo tool. Things just keep improving on the digital side! Finally we are getting somewhere, digital better than impressions!

Alex Touchstone
    Alex Touchstone
    Keymaster

Cliff,

You always were on the cutting, er, bleeding edge!  Are you bridging to the Planmill 40 yet?  If so, how is that working out for you?  Please post case photos, screenshots, etc!

Founder and Mentor
    LearnDigitalDentistry.com
    alex@learndigitaldentistry.com

Cliff Leachman

So far waiting for the Trios 3 scanner and waiting for Romexis 4.4 which Gary Severance says will import any stl into the Planmill 40.

Definitely post pics, waiting for a year+ for Nevo, never came after some confusion at Henry-Schein.

Turned out to be a blessing, gave me the opportunity to redirect myself after trying the Planscan.

Trios 3 is costly, but scanning with it makes any of us struggling with intraoral scans smile with appreciation!

I must say i basically wet myself!

They really have built a better mousetrap, now its time for everyone else to play catch up!

I plan on scanning ALL patients then use their upcoming program to compare tissue, wear facets, tooth movement, etc.

No more arguing with the patient, the computer will tell them. No Mrs. Smith you teeth aren’t moving,etc. see the computer is telling you so!

You can bill, in BC, for study models, the plans accepts it, making the cost more affordable, sort of?

Finally a scanner that is better than existing impression techniques, not similar or comparable, BETTER!

Now all the labs have to catch up……

Shea Tolbert
    Shea Tolbert
    Participant

Thanks to all for sharing. I too have debated whether to get the Trio’s and import into Planmill 40 to mill.

We currently still have the non color scanning tips. I didnt spring for the first color option because I dont have any issues with seeing margins, etc with ice mode and didnt see any clinical performance upgrade with it in my mind besides it looking “pretty”.  I am happy no doubt it is going that direction though.

After demo of trios. The scanning blew my assistants and I away.

After careful thought I have decided to wait on Planmeca’s next scanner upgrade. I just don’t want to do so many work arounds as discussed on here.

With the progression, R&D, improvements we have seen since the E4D/Planmeca collaboration I believe a comparable scanner to the trios is around the corner. Fingers crossed

The best is yet to come. 😎

Shea

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.