5.6 Update. "known Problem"

This topic contains 25 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Wally Renne Wally Renne September 21, 2015.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    bradblair
    bradblair
    Participant

This has been hit and miss for me also, although I think I am not doing something correctly. Posteriors-no problem. Anteriors-problem.

With this case, crowns on #8,9. The green light came on, so I didn’t take a lot of time checking the bite. First screen shot is what Romexis shows me. However, I imported the buccal.stl file into my Netfabb viewer and get the second view, so I guess it is ultimately ok? Lab hasn’t called, which is always a good thing.

So, “known problem,” or “user error?”

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

Anteriors are the spot where you will have more issues, and this case does have some problems, not sure that the lab will be able to get an alignment.  The opposing is obviously upside down and mis aligned.  The picture of your .STL is just the buccal bite scan I think, not the aligned models. 

So for the anteior it’s super critical to start in the same spot with the scanner oriented the same way for all the scans.  For a case like this I would have started scanning #9 making sure the camera was pointed into the mouth, scanned everyhting I could with that positioing, roll the camrea over to capture the right side.  Then for the opposing same thing, start scanning in the 23-24 area, tip pointed into the mouth, scan the left and what I could in that orientation, flip the camera to get the right.  And for the BB same deal, camera poitned into the mouth, start in the 9/23-24 area, go distal, then mesial, flip the camera to get the right if needed.

It’s all about the first scan, that sets the model orientation, so you just need to be mindfull of how you have the camera pointed on the anteriors.  Much easier on the posterior as you will always use the same camera orientation, but in the anterior it’s fairly easy to goof and scan from opposite directions and then have this sort of alignment issue (ask me how I know!!).

Alex Touchstone
    Alex Touchstone
    Keymaster

Mike is right.   🙂

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

Great new video that Wally and Alex did on anterior scanning and alignment, defintely check it out.  Wally’s scan technique will help you scan these bigger cases faster and help ensure that everything aligns nicely.

Alex Touchstone
    Alex Touchstone
    Keymaster

Click on the image to view the video.

bradblair
    bradblair
    Participant

Thanks Alex, that was very helpful. Especially seeing how you hold the scanner for various sections.

Alex Touchstone
    Alex Touchstone
    Keymaster

Thank Wally, Brad…he is the superstar!  I just act as his cameraman and MC.  😉

bradblair
    bradblair
    Participant

While we are at it, exactly what does the scan speed setting do? When should I not have it at full speed?

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

Full speed for most stuff.  If you have a spot that’s tough to scan then you can slow it down to pick up more data.

bradblair
    bradblair
    Participant

Just saw a video of the new software update at the Ohio Dental Assoc show. Full arch scan (on a model though) in 29 seconds! Obviously on a patient will be a bit slower, but wow! To be included in regular update cycle in about a month.

Also a color version too. Need new tips and $6-7000 upgrade as I remember. Not true color. Very Cerec-like. Will probably pass on that one, but look forward to the software.

Wally Renne
    Wally Renne
    Keymaster

Sounds like an awesome update!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Don't have an account? Registration is free and only takes a minute.

Register