A Case for CBCT to Plan Implants

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Mike Kelliher Mike Kelliher August 19, 2017.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alex Touchstone
    Alex Touchstone
    Keymaster

Founder and Mentor
    LearnDigitalDentistry.com
    alex@learndigitaldentistry.com

Hej Alex,

I think the CBCT need a little explaintation from your side.

As I see it, there is placed an implant in the molar region which has a wrong direktion as it went into the lingual area on the wrong side of the mandibula. This is a commen falliure in this area, whitch a CBCT can help you to avoid. If it was places more facial in the apical area, 30*,  without hidding the mandibular nerve, it will succeed. The fantastic thing having a CBCT is to have a perfect picture in the 3.rd direktion, which we as dentist not are used to.

Peter

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

Yikes, that’s a way off course placement.  Looks like it was restored as well!  Would be interesting and maybe frightening to scan all our implant patients, see where the free hand placements really ended up!

Alex Touchstone
    Alex Touchstone
    Keymaster

This was a patient a saw for an initial consultation.  The implant was placed 20 years ago by another dentist (oral surgeon)  The crown was loose but the implant was clinically stable.  Interesting so I though I would post it.

Founder and Mentor
    LearnDigitalDentistry.com
    alex@learndigitaldentistry.com

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

So the question is how did you handle the loose crown?  Amazing how the implant was stable for that long, but not so sure I’d want to touch it, might get blamed when/if it were to fail.  Of course great to have the cone beam image to document the problem and great way to show the patient what’s going on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.