Emerald "First Impressions"

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Mike Kelliher Mike Kelliher September 19, 2017.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alex Touchstone
    Alex Touchstone
    Keymaster

I am helping to validate the Emerald scanner and Dr. Gary Severance, Angela Severance, CDA, CDD and Mark Quadling (co-inventor of the Planmeca FIT system) were in my office yesterday to observe some scanning.  I decided to pick the most difficult case possible to start based on an earlier positive experience I had evaluating the scanner at R&D in Dallas.

The case is a full mouth rehab with change in vertical dimension.  My “first impressions” are:

1. The scanner is very light, smaller than PlanScan and thus much easier to maneuver around the mouth.
    2. There is now a function that allows for bilateral bite scans.
    3. The prep and opposing models “fly into place” live when scanning the bite – very nice feature that lets you know that you have scanned enough area for the buccal bite scan(s)
    4. Full, REALISTIC color.

For this case, I made analog impressions also in order to validate the accuracy of the digital impressions.  I will compare the two and report back on this forum so if you are interested, click the checkbox below “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” Below are some images of the scanning in action.

Founder and Mentor
    LearnDigitalDentistry.com
    alex@learndigitaldentistry.com

David Edelson
    Participant

Awesome! Looking forward to getting one.

Dave Edelson

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

Looks cool, can’t wait to try it on a clinical case!  So how long did scanning take per arch?  And did you find the Emerald did a better job getting all the holes filled than Planscan?  The bit of hands on I had with models it seemed that it was picking up better than Planscan, curious how it behaved in the mouth.

Glad to see the bilateral bite reg is back, they really needed to get that into the software again!

Gregory Bennett
    Gregory Bennett
    Participant

I also participated in some validation cases. I was, and still am, amazed at the speed of data acquisition during scanning. It’s incredible. It is definitely more compact and maneuverable than the Planscan. I used it for 6 cases including a full arch for a Clear Correct revision. The full arch was my second time using it. The full arch was imaged and re-imaged to fill holes in about 3 minutes.

One of my favorite additions was the second button to move between arch tabs without having to touch the mouse or laptop.

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

Interesting online tool to compare 5 year ownership costs on the different scanners out there:

Total Cost of Ownership

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.