Implant crown workflow?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  David Edelson May 19, 2017.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Gary Goodman
    Gary Goodman
    Participant

I received an email advertisement from Planmeca that included a workflow for screw retained implant crown design.  I asked my Planmeca rep about it and he was totally unaware.   Does anyone have any information about this??

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

The abutments are I believe available in Europe and Canada, I’ve seen some of those emails as well.  Not yet in the US, FDA approval is pending but shouldn’t be too long now.   You can do screw retained now with a stock abutment if you want to.

Matthew Laski
    Matthew Laski
    Participant

If you can do screw retained now with a stock abutment, what is it that people are waiting on?  Screw retained on a custom abutments I’m assuming are the same as with a stock abutment.

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

What they’re waiting on is the millable emax abutments.  Basically Ti bases and  an emax block that has a hole in it to fit the Ti base.  You can mill the case as an all in one screw retained or split it and mill an abutment and crown separately.

KirK
    KirK
    Participant

We haven’t this update yet. And bad thing is that planmill40 owners won’t be able to use blocks with a hole. Only those who has new planmill40s.

Moderndentalsmiles
    Moderndentalsmiles
    Participant

Can we have anyone give a detailed over view of this process and what it is that we can hope to see.

1.  being able  to mill screw retained crowns that fit over ti-base in either emax or zirconia ( one piece design and milling )

2.  Being able to design and mill abutments that in emax and zirconia that fit over to-base. ( 2 piece design and milling )

Including verifying that those with the plan mill 40 will not be able to use the function ?  I think this is a very big request and I do understand patents are running out in September which should open things up for e4d to offer this. Please if anyone from around the globe or even in the us has knowledge about this that’s not speculation.  Please let’s hear about it.  Let’s see it.

Thank you !

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

What is being released is an emax block with a manufactured hole in the material that fits to Ti bases so you’ll be able to mill either a one piece screw retained restoration or split the restoration into two and mill the abutment and crown separately.  No Zr though just emax.  This will only be for the 40s mill.

I have mixed feelings on this, always have.  Personally I would never do a Ti base abutment in the molar area, I like milled Ti for those areas.  Pre-molar forward, maybe a way to go.  My big thing with CAD or any technology is I never want to put myself in a position where I am doing something or using materials just because I have the ability to do the work in office.

Having abutments will be a nice addition but in my mind not a very critical one.

Moderndentalsmiles
    Moderndentalsmiles
    Participant

Thank you very much for your response. A few more questions …

1. Will the software to design the one piece or two piece  be integrated into plancad or will a seperste software need to be used

2. For those of us that invested in the plan mill 40 what options are there if any  for us utilize this option ? ( any sort of upgrade kit etc to adapt the mill to utilize this function )

I agree with the comments on emax-ti base abutments. But the option to have it and have the clinician decide is what’s right. Personally. I use scan bodies and company called tru abutment for customized titanium abutments and they design the crown and send me back the .stl file that I mill on the planmill. I have also used a local lab to do model less screw retained crowns with scan bodies with success

But it will be nice to do some of these things in office using the equipment I have for cases where it’s warranted.

Once again. Thank you for you prompt reply

David Edelson
    Participant

I have mixed feelings on this, always have.  Personally I would never do a Ti base abutment in the molar area, I like milled Ti for those areas.  Pre-molar forward, maybe a way to go.  My big thing with CAD or any technology is I never want to put myself in a position where I am doing something or using materials just because I have the ability to do the work in office.

Having abutments will be a nice addition but in my mind not a very critical one.

Mike couldn’t agree more. As a former Cerec guy I did a few molar zirconia abutments with no issues to date however I agree titanium a better option. I’m still old school as well. I will be getting the 40s so option will be on the table for me to continue as well as the fact that I will still be in possession of my Sirona inLab system and Infinident milling service. As Planscan/e4d is an open system docs with the 40 mill can consider the new Ivoclar Programill due out soon or another small lab mill with third party software like 3Shape or Exocad.

Dave Edelson

Moderndentalsmiles
    Moderndentalsmiles
    Participant

How about PMMA on ti base restorations. Will that option be available to be designed and Milled ? Telio cad …?

It’s a bit disappointing that after such a large investment in my planmill 40 that I will not be able to use it for screw retained restorations on ti base on anterior teeth or premolars.

KirK
    KirK
    Participant

Moderndentalsmiles, you will. But as far as I know they will make long burs for planmill40 in order to be able to make holes with this milling machine and standard blocks.

Moderndentalsmiles
    Moderndentalsmiles
    Participant

That’s great news !    Longer burs will also be interesting due to the fact that there are a few cases I came across where the Axial surface of regular crowns was too long for the burs to mill ( long anterior teeth ). Hopefully it all works out.

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

Going to be an exciting year for E4D with all the new hardware and software coming out!

David Edelson
    Participant

Cheers to that!

Dave Edelson

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.