Just Watch It

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Amuri Amuri July 20, 2015.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Amuri
    Amuri
    Participant

Great tip Mike!

So in this instance you used a standard titanium abutment? I guess in these case it would be easier to make an impression and use the impression screw as a post and then scan from the stone model. I will try both either way, one with the VarioBase and one with a standard abutment and see how I can grow a tooth :D. How is the fit and the margin ramp on these standard/individual abutments..? I guess I could increase the margin ramp because of the perfect prep?!

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

You’re absolutley right.  Margin ramp to .5 usually works, axial spacer I’d bring in to at least .06, even try .04 and see how that looks in sim.

Now I rarely use a stock abutment, almost always custom Ti, just like the margin placement and emergence profile better.

Amuri
    Amuri
    Participant

Mike I tried it like this on the VarioBase, in the Design phase it’s all good…

however when I Mill Sim I get this? Do I have to specify it as an Onlay or what am I doing wrong? I didn’t mill it yet, I thought I’d ask first.

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

It should still mill just like the design, mill sim always looks rough.  Sim is good to look for internal binding, so just flip that sim model over, look from underneath and see if any blue bleeds through the prep (abutment).

Now one trick you can use if you want to be sure the software doesn’t try to “patch” the hole in the crown is to set the restoration up as a veneer.  The only difference (software has no idea what a veneer is really) is that it’ll mill to whatever thickness you design down to 0.3mm.  Software has a safety feature built in where it’ll add material to thin areas just to keep you from milling too thin.  Veneer basically just removes that safety.

Another quick tip, you can take screen shots with windows really easy, just hit the windows key and print screen at the same time, saves the image in the photos folder, just be sure to crop out the pt’s name before you share.  That way you have nice high res images of the screen, great for presentations.  Which I bet you’ll need because my bet is you’ll be teaching everyone in Austria this stuff inside of 6 months!!

Amuri
    Amuri
    Participant

Hehe thanks, I will try to mill it! Yes yes I know about the screenshots, however on this laptop and Windows 8 I can’t alt tab out of the Romexis software into photo editor or Paint while I’m in Margin/Design/Mill Tab haha… I have to go all the way back to the Patient Selection screen in order to minimize Romexis and open other applications, so that’s why after this long day I just snapped the pics quickly after trying the abutment. I had a spontaneous case from today, I just forgot the x-rays in the practice so I’ll upload that case tomorrow! Thanks for the great advice!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.