Romexis And Planscan Details

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Mike Kelliher Mike Kelliher June 19, 2014.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello I have questions that no one seems to be able to answer…

Let me lay out some of my office design: Mac office with Mac mini and Apple TV in each op, Pro Max 3d mid with ceph, ProSensors with ProX, Viive management software, romexis imaging software

My dream is to have digital models (articulation, occlusion, storage, cad/cam) with radiographic data for patient centric care.

I am looking at a digital scanner to start, then plan on adding CAM down the road. Complete arch scanning ease is a must for ortho. Open architecture with easy to transfer stl is required. Trained and developed my cad cam experience with cerec but did not drink the punch.

So far I have two contenders PlanScan and the Trios 3shape color scanner

I already utilize romexis but does the “romexis” for planscan that supports CAD/CAM run on native Mac iOS like all Planmeca romexis versions before it? Everything I have read says Win IOS yet Romexis is all about Mac.

Who can I contact to fully understand the integration of PlanScan-Planmeca-Romexis for software and hardware specs? I want to be able to plug that thunderbolt connection planscan into the Mac mini in any of my ops and get to work!

Who can outline all of Planmeca upgrades so I understand the cost, functionality, and specs of things like ortho studio, model scanning, ceph tracing, and now CAD/Cam integrations… We need more transparency with the cost and options of the sofware upgrades. The selling points for my equipment purchases are now turning into upgrades…

I know this is new but I feel like I am a consumer who has to do more product searching and beta testing than necessary because no one seems to know the answers. This forum seems to have the most forward thinkers and educational videos so let’s hope you can help me.

Alex Touchstone
    Alex Touchstone
    Keymaster

Hi Shane,

Many of your questions are really “pre-sales” and should be directed to Planmeca and E4D.  This site mainly provides free clinical support to users of the PlanScan / PlanCAD /PlanMill system.  

That said, I’ll tell you what I know.  Romexis with the PlanCAD module currently runs only on Windows.  That will likely change.  How soon?  I hope very, but I have no inside knowledge.

As for full arch scans, my suggestion to you is to ask each company for independent certification of cross-arch accuracy for their respective scanners.  I know the lab scanners are certified in this way and it stands to reason that the intra-oral ones will be too IF they are accurate enough for full arch impressions.

I hope this helps.

Alex

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

Shane,

If you want to send your contact info to either Alex or myself we can certainly get you in touch with someone who could help answer those questions.

In terms of your 2 contenders of course I’d expect the plan scan to at some point be able to do what you’re looking for, not sure you’ll see the 3 shape scanner work through romexis. 

Michael Martin
    Michael Martin
    Participant

Shane,

Both the 3Shape and PlanScan are awesome scanners.  The relationship with E4D and Planmeca is very new, and knowing what happens next with the merged companies is anyone’s guess.  ‘Romexis’ is a confusing software label right now.  As I understand it, it seems to apply to 1) the Planmeca branded Window 8 based software that was formerly the design software for E4D/Nevo, 2) the older 2D/3D digital imaging platform that Planmeca used with their 2D/3D sensor/CBCT hardware that runs on both Mac and Windows platforms, and 3) the combination of 1) and 2) that allows scanning data to be superimposed on CBCT data on Windows systems only.

Windows 8 is without a doubt, by biggest frustration with the PlanScan system.  I would much prefer using my scanner with a Mac.  The PlanScan scanner does not yet have Mac drivers or software.

I looked seriously at 3Shape before purchasing Nevo about a year ago.  It hasn’t been perfect, but I’m very happy to be part of a community that is supportive and helpful, and the technology is awesome.   I’m a general dentist and use my scanner primarily for single tooth restorations.  For ortho, digital articulated models, and larger prosthetic cases, 3Shape may have some current advantages.

Best of luck choosing the system that’s right for you!

Michael

Anonymous

You guys are great. I look forward to being part of the community. I understand that this is not the correct location for my questions but you guys have more info than customer support! I will PM my personal contact info and appreciate any knowledgeable contacts or leads.

Mike Kelliher
    Mike Kelliher
    Keymaster

Glad to help Shane, good luck!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Don't have an account? Registration is free and only takes a minute.

Register